How to maximise on your eBucks earnings
Do you bank with FNB? Are you making use of their eBucks Rewards programme? And more importantly, do you know how to maximise your eBucks earnings? Moneybags writer, Alina Hardcastle learns a bit about the programme and how to get the most out of it.
One of the primary reasons for the existence of the eBucks Rewards programme is to help members to become financially fit, explains Carlos Simões, head of marketing at eBucks Rewards by FNB. He says: “We fundamentally strive to help our members extract value from their day to day financial behaviours across the four pillars that we offer: transacting, investing, borrowing and insuring.”
He adds that the purpose of the programme is about helping members stretching their wallets to do more of the things that are important to them.
How to maximise your eBucks
With the assistance of Simões and exploring the eBucks website, we found that the following tips will not only get your points up and running, but will assist you in maximising your eBucks earning and spending:
- Not all accounts will earn you eBucks. You need to make use of any of the following accounts to earn eBucks:
- FNB easy account and classic credit
- FNB gold account and credit card
- FNB cheque account and credit card
- FNB premier account and credit card
- FNB one account
- FNB private clients cheque and credit card
- FNB private wealth account and credit card
- It’s the small things that count. So, you make sure you meet the qualifying criteria that are specific to your FNB account such as:
- Your account must be active meaning that transactions take place and that your account is not in arrears or are in default.
- You need to log into the FNB Banking App at least once a month, using your own banking profile.
- Have total monthly deposits into your cheque account.
Once you qualify, you need to start collecting points, which moves you up a reward level. Points are allocated according to how you bank with FNB. So, the more points you collect – the higher your reward level – the more eBucks you earn. Your reward level is reviewed every month.
Once you’ve qualified and your reward level has been determined, you are ready to earn eBucks.
*Keep in mind that the programme rules are revised on an annual basis.
- In order to maximise your eBucks, make sure that you have a matching FNB cheque account and credit card, or a matching RMB private banking cheque account and an RMB private bank credit card. For example, a gold cheque account and gold credit card. This will assist you in maximising your rewards.
- There are five levels in eBucks Rewards, level one which is the lowest and level five being the highest. The higher your reward level the more eBucks you’ll earn. The points you earn will help you move up a reward level to get higher rewards. “eBucks offers our members a few tricks about how to become financially fit. We don’t reward people for any bad behaviour. Often people that are on our reward level five for example, are incredibly financial fit,” says Simões. He further adds that people who reach level five can get up to 40% discounts on selected spending.
- To collect points, ensure that you do general banking. Make use of eBucks calculator to assist you with this.
- There are many ways in which you can earn eBucks. For example you can do any of the following:
- Swipe your bank card or shop online.
- Shop at Checkers or Shoprite (FNB Private Wealth and RMB Private Bank clients also earn eBucks on grocery shopping at any store).
- Fill up with fuel, at any service station or take an Uber ride.
- Have an FNB connect contract or load FNB prepaid airtime.
- Buy from instore and online partners.
- Depending on which FNB or RMB Private bank account you have and how you bank, you can earn up to 15% back in eBucks on:
- Fuel purchases at any service station or on Uber rides.
- All networks prepaid airtime and prepaid electricity bought electronically via FNB.
- Shopping at Checkers and Shoprite.
- You can earn up to 40% eBucks if you shop with other eBucks partners.
- If we purchase selected deals on eBucks Shop and eBucks Travel, you can get up to 40% off.
- Also keep in mind that if you’re not with FNB, you can still earn eBucks with their partner stores but you won’t earn as much if you’re not banking with FNB.
Simões adds: “Unlike any other programmes that practice a point breakage, the eBucks that you earn don’t expire. We don’t penalise you for not using their eBucks and it will never go away. So, unless you’ve closed or become dormant on an FNB account, those eBucks will always be there. “
Membership with eBucks is free*(The linkage fee (R17.50 debited monthly) only applies to Premier Account customers with misaligned products)
For more information about eBucks, click here.