Sun City gets R1 billion make-over
South Africa’s most popular resort and casino, Sun City, has undergone a R1 billion facelift which began earlier this year. The renovations include the revitalisation of four hotels, the entertainment centre, and food and beverage outlets at the resort.
Michael Farr, group general manager for Sun City, says, “Sun City has remained popular since its opening, but we felt it needed a complete overhaul and took the decision to invest over a billion Rand to do just that. We’ve put this investment into making the resort even more attractive to families, gamblers, convention visitors and host of new, niche-tourists such as adrenalin-seekers, eco-tourists and millennials.”
“We are confident that with this massive refurb and upgrade, Sun City will not only retain its status as South Africa’s favourite leisure destination, but will also recapture its place as the premier convention venue in the country.”
Visitors to the newly upgraded resort can look forward to:
- The new entertainment centre, Sun Central, includes a variety of family experiences, such as a South African Hall of Fame honouring sportspeople and performing artists.
- The new, flexible Sun park indoor events area and outdoor space, capable of hosting a range of lifestyle events, music festivals and corporate launches.
- A 24-hour party zone at the Soho Hotel (formerly the Sun City Hotel), with night clubs, burlesques clubs and restaurants.
- The Luma Bar and the new Bocado Mediterranean restaurant at The Cascades, which replaces the Santorini restaurant. The Cascades Hotel was constructed in 1984 at a cost of R50 million. Today, its botanical gardens cover an area of 55 000sqm. The waterscape includes three swimming pools and 12 waterfalls and cataracts.
- A sophisticated new VIP gaming experience at the Palace Villa and Salon and an upgraded breakfast buffet. The popular Grill Room has also been upgraded with a new lakeside terrace. A stylish new spa will be completed by 2017.
- A fresh new look at the Cabanas as well as new restaurants and upgrades to the pool and pool bar.
- Adrenalin pursuers can look forward to Adrenalin Extreme, the new adventure hub. Families can also enjoy the two brand new rides at the Valley of Waves water park, Noble’s Descent and Ovango. Adventure hub comprises of a range of outdoor activities.
- For those who prefer to observe the action, The Brew Monkey microbrewery-themed gastro pub and the Food Factory, which is a fresh food eatery is the place to do this.
- Expect more action packed water sports at Waterworld. The venue now offers the new Kazooma Raceway and Rock Venture Mini Golf with its thrilling Grand-Prix-styled racing go-karts and an adventure golf course that will appeal to all ages.
Farr concludes, “Sun City remains the jewel in Sun International’s crown, setting the benchmark for leisure and business travel. Creating lasting memories for our guests is a core part of Sun International’s DNA and this is especially true of Sun City.”
View the images below: