Your free wifi guide
If you are working from home and miss the hustle and bustle of people around you, you could vary your routine by working from a coffee shop that has free internet access for its users. The Moneybags team has put together a comprehensive list of coffee shops and restaurants in Johannesburg and Cape Town offering free wifi access.
But remember: although the opportunity to sit in a coffee shop and browse the internet for free is appealing to most of us, make sure you are aware of what you spend. The cost of a couple of coffees and snacks usually outweighs the cost of your internet usage. You could be working from home for a fraction of the price. For example, with MWeb, you can get 2GB per month for R 209, which could equate to only a couple of days of coffee shop surfing.
If you want to save money make coffee shop sessions a monthly treat, rather than a weekly expense. Besides some venues will only allow you to surf for free for around 30 minutes and may ask you to pay once your allocated time is up. It’s best to call the coffee shop ahead of time to find out how long your free access lasts for.
Here’s the list of shops that offer free wifi to customers:
1. Loading Bay (Greenpoint)
2. Truth Coffee (Greenpoint): Three hours of internet is free. Earlybird special – coffee for R 10 between 7am and 8am.
3. Café Extrablatt (Greenpoint)
4. Newscafe (Greenpoint)
5. Lunchworks (De Waterkant): Happy hour: between 6.30am and 8am on weekdays you’ll pay R10 for any coffee.
6. Hudsons (Greenpoint and Kloof St, CBD)
7. Hemelhuijs (CBD)
8. & UNION (Bree St, CBD)
9. Central Library (CBD): Free WiFi up to 500 megabytes per month.
10. YOURSTRULY (Long Street, CBD)
11. Sgt Pepper (CBD)
12. Tamboerswinkel (Tamboerskloof)
13. Bardelli’s (Gardens)
14. Sinn’s Restaurant (Wembley Square, Gardens): 20 MB free daily
15. Cafe Neo (Mouille Point)
16. Café Caprice (Camps Bay)
17. Primi (Sea Point & Waterfront)
18. WellCafe (all Wellness Warehouse Stores)
19. Dunes (Hout Bay)
20. Col’cacchio (Franchise)
21. Fat Cactus (Mowbray)
22. Obz Café (Obz)
23. eMondo (Hans Strijdom Ave)
24. Dulcé Café (Cape Gate Mall, Brackenfell)
25. Empire Cafe (York Road, Muizenberg)
26. Bertha’s (Simonstown)
1. The Orient (Melrose Arch)
2. Tsunami (Rosebank)
3. Ninos (Rosebank)
4. Hyatt (Rosebank)
5. Voodoo Lily Cafe (Birdhaven)
6. JB Rivers (Hyde Park Corner, Hyde Park)
7. Wolves (Illovo)
8. Deli Biscotti (Illovo)
9. Brazen Head (Sandton)
10. Gwefey Cuisine (Morningside)
11. Cafe 54 (Bryanston)
12. Capello’s (Lonehill)
13. Kauai (Rosebank; Benmore; Eastgate)
14. Mi Vami (Fourways)
15. TSG 4ways (Fourways)
16. Harrisons on 12th (Westdene)
17. Twist (Marshaltown)
18. Col’cacchio (Franchise)
19. Merito’s – The Coffee Shop (Randburg)
20. Bembom Coffee Shop (Oakdene)
21. The Dros (Edenvale)
1. Mugg & Bean: All Mugg & Bean outlets except the airport restaurants offer 30 minutes free Wi-Fi.
2. Seattle Coffee: 30 minutes free wireless at most stores.
To keep up to date with the latest ways to save, sign up to the Moneybags newsletter here.
*All prices and information correct at time of publication and subject to change thereafter.